International Rivers is a non-profit advocacy and analysis organization headquartered in Berkeley, California, and with staff and consultants working in the Brazil, China, Laos, Thailand, India, and other parts of the US. International Rivers supports communities around the world in protecting their rivers and rights. We work to halt destructive dams and encourage better methods of meeting needs for water, energy and protection from floods.
China is the country with the highest numbers of dams in the world, and in recent years, Chinese companies have taken a lead in building dams not just domestically but also abroad. Chinese banks and companies are involved in constructing some 251 dams in 68 different countries, particularly in Africa and Southeast Asian regions.
International Rivers' China Program investigates China's domestic and global environmental footprint through the lens of dam building. We are currently seeking a China Program Intern that is passionate about environmental and social issues in China and abroad, possesses solid research, writing and editing skills, is a Chinese native speaker, and is web savvy and knowledgeable about online social networking tools and media sources in China. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to communicate with International Rivers' global staff and partners, contribute to print and web publications, and be an integral part of a dynamic Berkeley non-profit office environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain International Rivers' new Chinese language website; explore popular Chinese social networking sites and opportunities;
- Translate key articles for publication on our website and in our quarterly Chinese newsletter;
- Assist in a short video documenting China's global dam building role;
- Maintain the China Program's Chinese overseas dams spreadsheet; and
- Support the China program through research, administrative and campaigns assistance when necessary.
- Strong research, writing, editing and communications skills
- Familiarity with Chinese social networking sites, their uses, capabilities, and potential
- Fluent in Chinese
- Ability to multitask, stay organized, and keep deadlines
- Excellent computer skills and attention to detail
- Experience in translating between Chinese and English
- Experience interacting with Chinese environmental NGOs
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send a cover letter, 3-page writing sample, and resume to the Intern and Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: China Program Internship. NO CALLS, PLEASE. This internship will be open until filled.
International Rivers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, disability status, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation.
________________________________________________ You received this message as a subscriber on the list: email@example.com To be removed from the list, please visit: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2486/unsubscribe.jsp