We are seeking a part-time Research Fellow for 20 hours per week for 8 months, based in Pretoria, South Africa.ï¿½ Please share this with anyone you think may be interested. Thank you!
Intern & Volunteer Coordinator
Africa Program Research Fellow ï¿½ 2013 ï¿½ Pretoria
International Rivers supports communities around the world in protecting their rivers, watersheds and human rights. We work to halt destructive dams and encourage better methods of meeting needs for water, energy and protection from floods.
International Rivers is recruiting a researcher for an eight-month Fellowship to work in our Pretoria office for 20 hours a week. The purpose of the Fellowship is to conduct research on dam developments on the Congo River in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and assist in developing links with organizations and individuals working on renewable energy and relevant campaigns in the Southern Africa region. The Fellowship will provide research-training experience, new knowledge and skills to the successful applicant, while helping International Rivers develop our programs and base in South Africa. The Research Fellow will work under the supervision of the Africa Program Director.
The Research Fellow's primary responsibilities include:
- Support the Africa teamï¿½s activities on the Inga Dams in the DRC, including research, contribution to reports, outreach to partners, and review of documents.
- Continue our outreach efforts to Southern African groups working on Inga dams and energy issues.
- Investigate the feasibility of working with South African civil society groups to initiate a campaign focused on discouraging ESKOM from investing in destructive hydropower projects outside of South Africa and instead, encouraging ESKOM to invest in domestic renewable energy resources.
- At least one year research experience in a relevant discipline.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Word, Excel, and web savvy.
- Possession or in pursuit of a Masterï¿½s degree in environmental sciences, water resources management, geography, environmental economics, energy planning or any other relevant discipline.
- French language skills are an added advantage.
The fellowship will pay ZAR 6000.00 a month for 20 hours a week for 8 months. This is not a full-time position and therefore does not include benefits.
Please send an application letter in English with resume and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject "Africa Program Research Fellow." The position will remain open until filled.